THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
A. Our Blessed Hope, His Appearing, That Day
Heb.9:28 - so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him
Titus 2:13 - waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our God and Savior Jesus Christ
2 Tim.4:8 - there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing
1 Pt.5:4 - when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory
1 Jn.3:2 - we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is
1. What event are we to be anticipating and preparing for?
2. What are some things that happen when he appears?
Response: Titus 2:11-14; Heb.9:28; 2 Tim.4:8; 1 Jn.3:2-3
B. The Revelation
1 Pt.1:3-5, 7, 13 - he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading…a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time…so that the tested genuineness of your faith…may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ…set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ
3. In the passage above, when will the Revelation of
When will the resurrection occur (Jn.6:40)?
What else happens on the last day (Jn.12:48)?
4. What are some additional “hopes” to look forward to?
5. Read 2 Thess.1:6-10; 2:1-3. In 1:7, “the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels.” What other phrases are used to describe his revelation?
6. List more related events in 1:6-10 and 2:1.
Response: 1 Pt.1:6; 1 Pt. 1:13-15; 2 Thess.1:11-12; 2:2, 15, 17
C. The Coming of Christ
Mt.24:30-31 - Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
1 Thess.4:15-17 - we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.
7. List, circle, or highlight the parallel words and phrases in these two passages.
8. What suggests that this is a public event?
9. Read 1 Cor.15:21-28; 50-55. Again, make a list of all the events associated with Christ’s Coming?
10. What is Christ doing until all his enemies are defeated (v.25)?
11. What is the last enemy to be destroyed (vs.26)?
12. What announces the resurrection (v.52)?
Response: 1 Thess.4:13; 4:18; 1 Cor.15:34; 15:58
D. Day of the Lord
1 Thess.5:2-4, 9 - For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them…and they will not escape. But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief…For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.
13. What two contrasting events happen on this Day?
Response: 1 Thess.5:6; 8, 11
14. Read 2 Pt. 3:1-13. What happens on the Day of the Lord? (v.4 calls it his coming)
15. For what are we to be waiting (v.12-13)? See also question #1 above.
List other things for which we are to be waiting:
Response: 2 Pt.3:11, 14, 17-18; 1 Cor.1:7; Titus 2:13; Phil.3:14
16. Read about our inheritance and future glory in Rom.8:11-25. What happens to the earth when we are resurrected (v.11, 23), glorified (v.17), revealed to the world (v.19), our adoption finalized (v.23), and our hope is fully realized (v.24)? See vv.19-21.
17. What do your answers to questions 11and 16 tell you about the age which follows the resurrection?